NZZ nr. 24. page 5. Header:
Israel boycotts UN Human Rights Council (”Israel boykottiert Uno-Rat”)
on-line version has a puzzle in its header:
Israel boycotted review (Israel boykottiert Überprüfung)
There is not a big chance to understand anything from this header, but also from on-line article. Below is about printed version.
What is wrong with this article to me? the article presents the issue as
- Israels reaction to one resolution only (‘Anlass war eine Resolution’)
- UN is looking into human rights issues of all countries (‘alle Ländern .. unter die Lupe genommen werde’)
- UN Resolution is presented as reasonable, all countries wants Israel to participate and Israel is not participating because it is probably bad by building homes in Judea and Samaria.
Is it really so? Will NZZ reader be able to understand the following statements (Wikipedia and US congress) after reading today’s NZZ:
- On 20 June 2007, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a statement that read: “The Secretary-General is disappointed at the council’s decision to single out only one specific regional item given the range and scope of allegations of human rights violations throughout the world.
- As of 2010, Israel had been condemned in 32 resolutions by the Council since its creation in 2006. The 32 resolutions comprised 48.1% of all country-specific resolutions passed by the Council. By April 2007, the Council had passed nine resolutions condemning Israel, the only country which it had specifically condemned.
- At the UNHRC’s opening session in February 2011, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton criticized the council’s “structural bias” against the State of Israel
- March 2012 Criticism. The United States urged the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva to stop its anti-Israel bias. It took particular exception to the councils Agenda Item 7, under which at every session, Israels human rights record is debated. No other country has a dedicated agenda item.
- The United Nations system suffers from unacceptably high levels of waste, fraud, and abuse, which seriously impair its ability to fulfill the lofty ideals of its founding.
UN human rights council is famous subject for critic and jokes in Internet since a long time
- The One About The UN: http://youtu.be/NW4FTAcwL0k
- Understanding UN Bias Against Israel, The Jerusalem Institute of justice http://youtu.be/j7Mupoo1At8
- UN Bias Against Israel http://youtu.be/8VLLuH2iEco
- Israel UN Human Rights Council Bias http://youtu.be/goeRf1yuibc
- Understanding UN Bias Against Israel — Invite to Durban 3 Protest, NYC, Sept 21.mp4 . http://youtu.be/vEpQ48mfrj8
- Banned Speech: Hillel Neuer Takes on U.N. Human Rights Council . http://youtu.be/uhWgZu6tcZU
In Addition, presenting an issue as Israel intention to avoid investigation under one resolution (‘Anlass war eine Resolution, die die Untersuchung der Auswirkungen der völkerrechtswidrigen Siedlungen..’) does not correspond to other sources i found and may be completely untrue.
- Israels mission to the United Nations in Geneva informally notified the Human Rights Council this month that it wanted to delay its participation but did not follow up with a formal request for postponement, creating uncertainty about its intentions. The uncertainty led to intense behind-the-scenes discussions to persuade Israel to reconsider its position.
- Israels no-show reflects longstanding frustration with the councils perceived anti-Israel bias, diplomats say.
Poor NZZ, poor NZZ readers ….